Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Camera That Sees In The Dark And A That Is Blinded By The Light.

Posted by T. Michael Testi

If you haven’t heard Vincent Laforet, a Los Angeles and New York based commercial director, DP, and photographer, received a prototype Canon 1D MKIV camera around two weeks ago.  He took this camera and some buddies out to test its video abilities at night in an industrial area of Los Angeles (around 6th an Mateo).

He set the ASA to high (6400) and over exposed the image. The camera could see better than he could at night!

“Nothing prepared me for what happened next.

I set the ASA to high - and I pointed it towards an area lit by a single flood light.  The image was overexposed by 4-5 stops.  I then started to play with the settings, pointing my light into an area in complete shadow (my eye saw nothing but black) but on the rear of the LCD I saw sharp, green leaves as crystal clear as if it were shot in daylight.

I think it’s safe to say that every single filmmaker and photographer has always dreamed of cameras that can see what our naked eyes can see.  This time these cameras can actually see more.   Sure - they may not have the dynamic ranges of our eyes just yet - but they see more than my naked eyes can see in low light.

Period.”

He posts the video on his blog and what does Canon do? Canon has requested that he take down “Nocturne.”

Chuck Westfall, a Canon tech guru has some pretty viral comments on the topic as well. I mean Canon gave Laforet the camera to play with after all.

Read it all…

 

Technorati Tags: ,,
Canon 50D: From Snapshots to Great Shots

Canon EOS Digital Photography Photo Workshop

Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera

No comments: